Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cancer Fighting Food

I stopped by WH Smith yesterday to stock up on a few English language books and magazines. I know it's expensive but I can't resist.

I also did do a bit of reading while I was there and came across a book on cancer fighting foods. While these kind of books normally annoy me and most of the foods mentioned are already well known for their health benefits, I did think it was worth noting the top cancer fighting foods, at least as a reminder.

  • broccoli - and the entire brassica family
  • orange vegetables which contain carotenoids such as carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, beetroot etc
  • tomatoes for lycopene - especially important to reduce the risk of prostrate cancer
  • berries such as strawberries and raspberries - important to get organic berries not only to avoid toxins but they taste so much better
  • pomegranates - something I only recently tried for the first time
  • citrus
  • mushrooms
  • herbs and spices
  • chocolate - the 70% cocoa variety not the high sugar variety

Then of course there are two very important drinks:

  • green tea
  • red wine

Plus

  • vitamin D - extremely important in fighting cancer
  • selenium - which is found naturally in organic vegetables but not in conventionally grown foods
  • omega 3 - I get my daily dose by taking supplements
  • probiotics - can apparently reduce the risk of colon cancer

Foods which didn't get a mention:

  • potatoes
  • baguettes
  • Nutella
  • Red Bull

What's up with that?

No comments: