Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Why is Germany so Cheap?

So on my recent trip to Strasbourg, I made a quick stop over the border to the small German town of Kehl. I was quite surprised to see that the products on sale there were significantly cheaper than in France. I mean there were huge differences in prices.

I just don't understand how this is possible. I noticed it when we were in Cologne earlier this year too. Bread, sandwiches, drinks, toiletries, all at huge discounts as soon as you cross the border. It's not like the salary is lower in Germany, if anything it's higher. So why do they get products so cheap? I can only imagine it's due to lower taxes.

Some examples of the price differences:

Body Spray: France €4.25 | Germany €2.99
Shampoo: France €3.40 | Germany €1.99
Hair Dye: France €11.95 | Germany €7.95
Body Wash: France €2.40 | Germany €1.59

Cake: France €3-4 | Germany €1.50-2.50 (and for 3 times the size).
Berliner (donut): France €1.50 | Germany €0.50 (and 3 times the size).

So why am I living in this super expensive city, this super expensive country?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I was in montpellier, everyting was 3-4 times more expensive than i nmy home country - i live in Czech rep. then i went to germany and things cost twice as much. after 2.5 months of travels, i was very happy to be home again:)

Andrea said...

I love the Czech Republic! I've been there twice and not only was it cheap but the people are so friendly. I hope to go back again next year.

I'm sure salaries are much lower in the CR though so it's hard to say where you'd be better off. The thing with France and Germany is that the salaries are pretty similar but France is so much more expensive.