Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Looking for a New Apartment

I gave notice on my apartment the other day, so we have 3 months to find something new. Something bigger, in a better location, and for less money! Well maybe not for less money.

Ferbent's mother is coming to live with us for a while. She'll be here next month and will stay for 3 to 6 months. So we're looking for a large one bedroom although a 2 bedroom would be ideal. I'm not sure if the budget will stretch that far though.

I've already seen a couple of 50sqm apartments in Boulogne for under €1000 per month which is a good sign. One has just been renovated and the other is brand new, which is very appealing. I'm not sure I want to stay in Boulogne though. I'd much rather be in Paris.

Ferbent is talking about moving to the suburbs, like on the train line!!! No way! It's bad enough being in Boulogne but at least we're on the metro here so it's not so bad, it doesn't really feel like the suburbs. Plus we are really close to Bois de Boulogne which is really nice.

Other discussion have involved moving to Germany and recently moving to Cyprus. Ferbent works in hotellerie so he could easily get a job in Cyprus and the rents are super cheap but really, I can't see myself in a small city on a remote island (it'd almost be like being trapped in Perth again). It would be ok if I could easily travel from there but going anywhere would mean flying (which I don't like) and it's expensive to fly anywhere. So I think that option's out.

Still we might take a quick trip to Cyprus to see what it's like. We both love Greek food and the Greek way of life but I think it might be too touristy for us. I found an all inclusive holiday for €495 each for 7 nights in early September so I might book that.

All of Paris is on holiday at the moment so obviously it's not a good time to be apartment hunting. I'll probably wait until next month to start my search.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck on your apartment search. greek food is a plus but isolation isn't. i know what you mean about being isolated in australia, even in melbourne i feel that way. i guess cyprus would be a bit like moving to corsica in a way?

Andrea said...

Cyprus is pretty much out of the question because I couldn't stand to live in such a touristy place.

I just got back from Germany and had a great time so that's always a possibility.

I think I'll stay in France for a while yet though.