Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More Dirty French People

When the plumbers were here earlier, they asked if it was just one person here taking showers. I said there were two of us and they responded so that's 2 showers per day. I corrected them saying that's 4 showers per day seeing we each take 2 showers, one in the morning and one in the evening. You should have seen the shock on their faces. Like only complete lunatics would take 2 showers per day.

They guy we stayed with in Italy only takes one shower per day and I read that this is fairly common but I can't understand it at all. You've got to have a shower in the morning, you just have to. There is no way I would leave the house without having had a shower, not even just to go to the boulangerie.

Obviously if I go to the gym I'm going to have a second shower but even if I haven't been sweating like a pig doing cardio, I would feel so dirty if I didn't shower. How could you spend time in the filthy, disgusting metro and not shower afterwards. Even just being out in this highly polluted city, I'd want to shower before bed.

Of course I wasn't surprised when these guys were shocked as I know very well that the French rarely wash their hands, let alone shower often. I wash my hand on arriving at the gym, because I've been in the metro, and I wash my hands before I leave, because I've been touching the machines. While I'm in there, washing with soap, I generally see 2 or 3 women leave the toilets without even getting close to the hand basins. So they go to the toilet, don't wash their hands, and then use the gym machines and whatever else. Ferbent confirms the men are the same. What's wrong with these people?

I was very pleased to see that wasn't the case during my recent trip to London. I used the very busy public toilets in one of the department stores and saw every single person wash their hands afterwards. I never would have thought the English were so much cleaner than the French but there you go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well im english and i take a shower when im dirty.
Makes sense really.
I work in a restaurant and I have a shower after work, and i wash my hands almsot religiously (my restaurant has a timer set to 30 minutes, whereby everybody who cooks must wash in the next five minutes or get stern words from the boss)
so ultimately i wash my hands around 15 times per day.

Ginger said...

My fiance is a Breton from Brest and he washes his hands often! After the toilet, he's diligent ! He does not shower every day but after physical activity he does faithfully. He does not have "BO" and is lovely. I do not know if he is "abnormal" so far as other French men but honestly, I am American and find him to be perfect. I dated an Englishman for awhile also and do not see the difference, except that my Frenchmen is a better lover and more faithful and considerate. I think this depends on the individual ... I do not wish to catagorize by country, that is silly.

Andrea said...

He doesn't shower every day?????

Hahahahahaha

I'd classify that as a dirty Frenchman! Disgusting!

Eriszon said...

I still wonder how much predjudice people have for others who they've never met...
I have experiences with both french men and women and honestly they 're not dirtier or smellier than any other europeans. I mean we're humans, aren't we!?
And for me it's such a dissembler thing to say you've never missed your everyday shower. When you 're just so exhausted after work or school that you just fall into your bed and next morning you may have time to shower or not...
I think some people should think about being over hygenic or being more honest maybe...

So don't generalize people by their nationality, everybody is unique;)

Peace

PS.:I forgot: don't be afraid to get dirty sometimes( we all came from dust..)