Sunday, October 15, 2006

Crazy French Banks

I can't understand why so many people still pay by cheque in France. I have often seen the French pay by cheque at the supermarket for amounts as low as 5 euros. They're crazy. I have never had a cheque book in my life and never will. On the rare occasion when I need a cheque I would get a bank cheque which takes about 5 minutes to get from the bank.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy in France. I must be one of the few people not to have a chequing account here. That doesn't bother me but I need a cheque to pay for my home contents insurance. The insurance broker I got it from is in Montpellier so I can't pay by cash and they don't accept credit cards.

I went to the bank on Friday thinking they would write out a cheque for me right there and then. I must have briefly forgotten where I was. Of course they couldn't write me a bank cheque on the spot. I need an appointment with one of their advisors. The earliest I can get an appointment is in 10 days time. Brilliant. My insurance is due in 1 week. Not only do I have to wait that long for a cheque but I need a one hour appointment to get it done. One hour! So in theory the bank 'advisors' (they don't have tellers at the bank) could spend their whole day writing 7 cheques! Very efficient. This is just another reason as to why this country is so crap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were very lucky to get an appointment in 10 days! I needed to change a direct debit and the appointment was three weeks later.

The reason why the French use so many cheques is down to the payment limits on their debit card and absence of overdrafts. Usually they get to spend EUR 3000 per month of their own money, which sounds like a lot but isn't quite so much as it seems as all the automated machines pre-authorise an amount higher than the likely cost. Also, the absence of true overdrafts means that a lot of people are basically out of cash by the end of the month.

Just noticed from this blog that you're in exactly the same boat as me & Wendy. She's from Gosford (north of Sydney).

Loved Seville last year but a little too far to go this time around.


Arnold