Monday, August 28, 2006

Henin-Hardenne Beats Unknown

Henin-Hardenne won her first match of the US Open. Of course it's not surprising that she would beat someone ranked 45 in the world. In the men's competition, the number 2 seed against the number 45 could still be a good match but that is never the case in the women's competition.

I've never liked Henin-Hardenne as she is just plain boring. She doesn't appear particularly talented. She looks like one of those players who are successful purely because they work really hard. I hate watching people like that; I would rather watch a natural talent any day. Obviously a naturally talented played like Federer or Hingis has to work hard to be number one but it's not the same. This tennis isn't as exciting to watch.

I disliked HH even more when she pulled out of the Australian Open with a 'stomach ache'. I think it doesn't matter how much pain you are in, you can't pull out of the final of a Grand Slam. It's not like she pulled a muscle which could have gotten worse if she had continued. How was sticking out that match going to make her 'injury' worse. She just couldn't stand to lose to Mauresmo. I hate her for that.

I didn't watch much of her game today, why would I when I already knew what the result would be. This is why women's tennis is so boring. Only the semis and the final are of interest and then only sometimes.

No comments: