Monday, June 12, 2006

Is Paris Tap Water Safe to Drink?

I never drank the tap water in Paris simply because I was told it is not fit for drinking. I'm now starting to question if that is really the case as I know a number of people who do drink it. I have tried it and even though it doesn't taste that great there is nothing wrong with it. It won't make you sick.

Some French mineral water companies have suggested that bottled mineral water is better for your health but there is no scientific evidence to support this and the French government themselves say that tap water has the same benefits as bottled water.

The French are drinking less bottled water, especially the more expensive brands such as Perrier, Badoit, Evian, and Volvic. More people are drinking cheaper supermarket brands of water as well as tap water. Personally I buy the cheapest brand at my supermarket which is only 18 cents per 1.5 litre bottle and it's fine. I don't see the need to pay more than 50 cents a bottle for the other brands. You're really just paying for the brand name, they are not any better for you.

I think if you don't mind the taste of tap water then go ahead and drink it, otherwise go for the cheapest bottled water you can find.

No comments: