Friday, February 08, 2008

How to Tip a Hairdresser

I found out just the other day that you're supposed to tip the hairdresser when you have you haircut in France. I had no idea! I'm so hopeless at this kind of thing. It's just not in the Aussie culture to tip so I don't really know how to do it or how much to give.

Ok, so I admit I had a suspicion that you're supposed to tip or I never would have asked the question but now that it's been confirmed I really should figure out how to do it. So if anyone can help me...

  1. How much do you tip?
  2. Do you tip the person who washes your hair or the person who cuts it or both?
  3. Do you give the tip when you pay at the end or when they finish washing your hair or somewhere in between?
  4. Help!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

This is something they told us about the first year I came to France as an assistante (along with advice about the right sort of flowers to take to your hostess) so I'm going to come over as all worldly-wise when in fact I'm clueless. I only tip at the end and only the girl who does the shampoo and only if there's a little jar on the counter, I hate slipping coins into somebody's hand. Usually 1€, sometimes 2€ (and only if I don't look too awful).

Andrea said...

That helps a lot. I've never even noticed a jar with tips before. I'll open my eyes next time! Thanks heaps!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)