Monday, December 24, 2007

La Graine et Le Mulet

It's been a while since I've been to the movies. I was at the Champs Elysees today and couldn't resist stopping by one of my favourite cinemas, Le Balzac.

I saw La Graine et le Mulet by Abdel Kechiche. I recently saw another of his movies, La Faute a Voltaire with Sami Bouajila (one of my favourite actors) which was great, so as soon as I saw this movie was by him I had to see it.

The film is about a man in his 60's who loses his job basically due to his age. He decides to open a restaurant but is faced with a severe lack of funds and the typical nightmare that is the French bureaucracy. His family comes together to help him but he is just so unlucky, nothing seems to go right.

The movie was very long at 2 and a half hours but it wasn't really noticeable, although I do think some scenes could have been cut down. Like one scene at the beginning when the whole extended family is at the table eating couscous and there are extreme close-ups of everyone eating and talking. It really wasn't pretty!

The ending was fantastic though, really amazing. This movie is well worth seeing.

No comments: