Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Brand New Apartment

My apartment search has been quite difficult so far. It's not easy when you have a foreign income. It has been difficult finding apartments which are livable, let alone nice, and the couple which I have been interested in have gone to other people.

I'm starting to get a bit desperate so I've started looking with agencies. There are two negatives to this. Firstly, I'll have to pay agency fees and secondly I'll have to do une caution bancaire. Which means 12 months rent put aside by my bank in case I don't pay. I was hoping to avoid this by going direct with the landlord but it doesn't look like that is going to work out.

Finally yesterday I came across the perfect apartment. It's in a brand new complex in Boulogne. I remember commenting to Ferbent a few months ago when they were under construction that it would be nice to live there. They are owned by a company so they are quite strict where the dossier is concerned so fingers crossed they'll accept the documents I've provided them with. They seem happy enough, so long as I do the caution, of course.

The apartment is on the 5th floor, back from the main road. It's 40sqm, 1 bedroom, a kitchen in the corridor, and a large bathroom with a bath and space for a washing machine (albeit a small one). It has real timber floors and good quality fixtures. All that for less than €1000 per month. It's perfect! There are lots available but will they rent to me?

9 comments:

Ksam said...

1000€??? That's insane! You can get a one bedroom apartment for less than half that where we live. No wonder salaries have to be higher in Paris!

Andrea said...

€1000 is a bargain for a brand new one bed apart! I was thinking I might have to go up to €1200 per month!

I'm not sure salaries are really that much higher here. Ferbent works in tourism so it's difficult for him to find a job in a small city, otherwise I think we'd move from Paris.

islandgirl4ever2 said...

WOW!! That does sound lucky as I know rent in PARIS is sky high!!! We live in Antony... south of Paris... and it's less but still expensive..... I think our apart is about the same in m2 so that is not too bad for you!! Good luck!!! Let me know if you would like to meet up for coffee sometime in Paris... I have a very nice group of American friends and we just met an Australian gal... who is very nice, too...
Take care, Leesa

Ksam said...

I came across this today, and thought it might interest you: http://paris.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=2029

Andrea said...

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I've been using Craigslist a bit too but most of the apartments on offer are furnished or short term.

I've seen a couple of decent apartments now so it's just a matter of making a decision. I'm sure I'll get something soon.

Leesa, coffee sounds great! As soon as I've found a new place and I stop stressing I'll contact you.

Corinne said...

wow that is crazy amount of money.. luckily i get a free apartment within my school. i have a friend in paris and she had trouble finding a play to start at first too.

Misplaced said...

1000 for Paris is not bad. Sounds like a good find.

Biochemist said...

Thank you. My wife found your Blog. I am American. She is South Korean. And we moved to Paris 2 months ago (I am a scientist). We are in our late 20's and have been brutalized by administration. I would love to chat/share more with you. Everything you mention has also been our problem. Sejour, agencies, Vitale, SSN. It was so good to see. It doesn't solve problems, but it eases my worry in a way. Please write if you can,
Dennis Harris
dennis.jr.1980@gmail.com

PS My Blogger page is very old and outdated. I am trying to make a new one though.

Biochemist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.