Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Quick Trip to Milan

Did I mention that Ferbent has gone away? Well, not permanently of course. He's in Albania visiting his mother. He wants to get a visa for her to come here to live but, being Albania, it's not easy. He has been gone for more than a month. Who knows when he'll be back. Hopefully in time for our trip to Luxembourg next month.

Before he went to Albania we spent a few days together in Milan. We've got some friends there which explains why I've been to Milan at least 5 times. There can't be any other explanation as it's one of the crappiest cities in the world.

Milan has the worst weather ever. In summer it gets extremely hot and extremely humid. I'm from Perth which is a very hot city but it's generally very dry. It's the humidity which I can't stand. We briefly considered living in Milan before moving permanently to France and I'm so glad we didn't do it. It would have been a nightmare.

Reasons to never visit Milan:

  1. It's too hot.
  2. It's too humid.
  3. Milan is expensive (not when compared to Paris though).
  4. The pollution is a nightmare.
  5. There are no trees anywhere. Like nowhere!
  6. There only seems to be 2 parks in the entire city.
  7. There are no places to sit down. So forget about sitting down in Piazza Duomo or any piazza or street or wherever.
  8. My friends are too cheap to eat out even though you can get pizza for €5.

Reasons to visit Milan:

  1. Great shopping.
  2. Great ice cream.

Well, the shopping isn't better than any other big city, it's just different and you can obviously get great ice cream anywhere in Italy. So don't bother visiting Milan.

I had to put all these reasons in writing so I remember to never ever go to Milan again, no matter who I know there.

2 comments:

San Francisco Photos said...

WOW! I hope this isn't all true but I'm assuming it is. We've been thinking of visiting Milan in December so I'm thinking the weather then will not be so great either. Originally we were thinking of spending Christmas in Paris and then take a train to Milan as I've always wanted to go there but now that I've read your blog then I might have to think twice. Although it was going to be a toss up between Milan and Prague so maybe Prague would be the wise choice?? Either way thank you for the writing on your blog.

Andrea said...

Prague is so fantastic. I highly recommend visiting Prague instead of Milan. You coule also consider Vienna, one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited and I hear Budapest is great too.

I visited Prague in December (many years ago) and although it was quite cold there were blue skies every day. I love that kind of weather. There is plenty to see, the food is great, and the people are friendly.

The train to Milan is 7 hours so if you want to go you might want to consider flying.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Paris, it really is fantastic here.

Enjoy your trip!