Monday, April 23, 2007

My Carte Vitale

Quite by surprise today, I got a letter in the mail from the Assurance Maladie stating that I have been added to Ferbent's Carte Vitale health card. So I can finally go to the doctor if I need to without having to worry about paying the full cost.

I originally applied for a carte vitale about a 8 months ago when I received my temporary carte de sejour. I had to fill in some forms and prove I was married to my husband who was employed in France. They then needed to see his carte vitale which he was still waiting for.

When his carte vitale finally arrived I wrote back to Assurance Maladie with a copy of the carte vitale but then they needed my carte de sejour, not the temporary one I had shown them.

So I'd kind of forgotten about the whole thing. I then stumbled upon my 'dossier' the other day so I thought I'd send it back with a copy of my carte de sejour (which I received in February). I didn't even send a covering letter, I just put all the documents in an envelope and that was it.

It turns out that was enough so if I get hit by a bus tomorrow it won't cost me a fortune!

I wonder if they'll reimbourse me for when I went to the dentist last year? Probably not but it's worth a try. I'll send off the documents tomorrow and see what happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, they'll reimbourse so long as you were elibible for the card before you ran up the bills. Note "eligible for", not "applied for" which can often be a significant difference.

Just about to run off the end of our temporary CdS for Wendy yet again so we reminded the Mairie about it and a couple of days later the bill for EUR 275 arrived from OMI. Did you get a bill for your CdS like that? Don't think we should have either and we're not paying it (yet again).

Andrea said...

I never got a bill for the CdS and payment was never mentioned so I'm not expecting anything.

I can't imagine why they would send a bill after issuing the document but then they are pretty stupid in this country, as you know.

What does OMI stand for? I'm a bit slow when it comes to abbreviations!

Anonymous said...

OMI is Office de Migrations et Immigration or something along those lines anyway. They are the people who actually issue the CdS (the Prefecture are merely a postbox in effect).

The EUR 275 is only applicable if you're not working as far as I can tell. As usual, they don't have the whole picture because they aren't asking the correct questions of us. Anyway, I'll be dropping them a line to say that Wendy's been working since we got here.

If nothing else, this is helping enormously in the little guide to immigrating here that we're building up on the website... http://www.foreignperspectives.com/livinginfrance .