Friday, February 16, 2007

Getting a French Drivers Licence

I managed to make it to the Prefecture 10 minutes before it opened and was 16th in line, so only a short wait before I got to speak to someone. My carte de sejour was supposed to have been printed on the 30th October 2006, after applying in June, and it possibly was but I never received it. So I have ordered a new one and I should receive it next week.


They also extended my temporary carte de sejour, for a second time, so no problems there. I don't think it really needed to be extended anyway. Last time it had already been expired for a month before I went to get it extended so I don't think they care too much. It's only a temporary piece of paper valid until the real carte de sejour is printed.


As for getting a French drivers licence, that will be easy. All I need is to show my:



  • passport

  • current Australian drivers licence

  • carte de sejour


They will do a straight swap so I don't need to fill out any forms or take a test, she will print it on the spot for me. Who would have thought that it could be so easy? Of course, there is a problem. They will only accept the carte de sejour which hasn't been printed yet. My drivers licence expires on the 7th March so that means I must exchange it before then.


Obviously I should have gone back to the Prefecture in November when I didn't receive the carte de sejour because they had told me that it was on its way. Fingers crossed that it arrives in time and I can get my French licence.


No comments: