Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Who’s electricity am I paying?

I had a strange phone call today from EDF, Electricite de France, saying that I have been paying my neighbour's electricity bill for the last 4 months. I've never heard of that happening before!

It seems that when I made the connection they set it up for the wrong apartment. A neighbour 2 floors above me hadn't been receiving their bills because their account had been cancelled, by me, and called EDF to find out why. I'm surprised to hear they called to find out about the missing bills seeing their electricity was still connected. They could easily have ignored it. I'm lucky they called because no one has been paying the electricity on my apartment and it could have been disconnected at any moment - which is exactly what happened to me when I was in Montpellier. I had 3 days without electricity in the middle of winter. That was fun.

I don't understand how this happened because I spoke to someone in English when I connected the electricity so it's not like my terrible French was the problem. I was surprised through when the guy told me it was going to cost 50 euros per month seeing I was only paying 40 in a larger apartment in Montpellier. I thought it must have been because I was in Paris where prices are higher!

So they are going to reimburse what I paid for the apartment upstairs and I'll have to pay the last 4 months electricity for this place. I'm glad someone else found this problem before it was too late. Luckily it hasn't caused any inconvenience for me.

No comments: