Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tour de France in Paris


The Tour de France went right by my apartment today so I couldn't help but see it. I had an excellent view from my balcony and so got a couple of good photos. I watched the race on TV about an hour before they were due in Boulogne Billancourt and thought it might be interesting, especially as the crowd started to grow.

It actually started very early in the day with the police setting up barriers, blocking off the side streets. I could see at least 5 policemen guarding the road from lunchtime onwards. A parade of all the sponsors went by at 2:30pm and some of them were quite funny but all in all not very interesting.

The crowd started gathering at 3pm but the cyclists didn't arrive until closer to 5pm. I saw on TV that they were about to arrive so I jumped out onto the balcony with my camera ready. The crowd started cheering and they went by in one big group. They had all gone by within about 10 seconds, if that! So people waited around for a couple of hours and if you'd blinked you'd have missed it. Wow, exciting!

No comments: