Monday, July 24, 2006

Organic Produce in Montpellier

I had a request about where to find organic produce in Montpellier so I thought I'd put it in its own post.

There are 3 organic supermarkets in Montpellier (I don't remember their names):

1. Passage de L'horloge - at the Polygone near the tramway.
2. Avenue Georges Clemenceau - near Intermarche (across the road).
3. Another is just north of the Corum but I can't remember exactly where.

Inno at the Polygone has an excellent range of organic produce (I especially love their organic fetta) and you can find a few things at Carrefour at Lattes (half way between Montpellier and Carnon).

The best place for fresh organic fruit and veges is at the organic market which is held every Saturday morning under Les Arceaux. There is a huge range of fruit, vegetables, tea, coffee, plants, meat, fish, and bread. The best bread by far is that sold by a guy in the last stall up the hill a little bit. There is always a huge queue because it's so delicious!

I once tried Natoora but the produce wasn't as fresh as I'd hoped and my small order came in two huge boxes with lots of plastic packaging, I wasn't impressed.

For a small city, there are plenty of organic options in Montpellier.

No comments: