Sunday, July 09, 2006

First Impressions Count

When I first saw Zidane I thought for sure he would be the type to lose his temper quickly. When I heard him interviewed I was surprised that he is quite softly spoken. I thought perhaps I had misjudged him and he was a quiet guy after all. Wrong!! I couldn't believe he head butted that Italian player in the World Cup Final tonight. Especially seeing it was such an important match. For one thing being the final but also being his last match ever before retirement. So he threw away the match because he got angry at some guy. What a waste. He got a red card and was out of the match and France subsequently lost. I guess they won't be building a statue of Zidane on the Champs-Elysees after all!

Another cross against Zidane from me is that he smokes. I never would have thought a top athlete would do that. Plus he is a hero for so many young boys in France and probably in Algeria. I was pretty disappointed to see that.

There's complete silence coming from my bedroom window which means France is in mourning. Italy won the World Cup. Viva Italia!

1 comment:

Bill Drennan said...

What a shame for Zidane. I'm not even a football fanatic, though I like to see football played well. I wish Zidane had kept the energy he used against the Italian player for his next goal. I had a bet on France to win in extra time!
I suppose this is what happens when you take the bate & let out the tension! Found your blog by random search. Please forgive the intrusion.