Monday, September 22, 2008

Journées Européennes du Patrimoine

The journées européennes du patrimoine is an annual event where government and historical buildings are opened to the public. It's a great opportunity to check out some of the amazing architecture around the country and especially in Paris.

Last year I just happened to be passing by the Sorbonne when I saw it was open. It was great being able to look around such a grand old building.

This year I was walking past the OECD building in the 16th when one of the guards told me I could enter if I wanted to. Why not? The tour was conducted by a fellow Aussie and we got to see the OECD conference rooms and the beautiful Chateau de la Muette.

Interesting facts:

  • The OECD is international territory meaning I left France for an hour or so.
  • In the conference rooms, each country is represented around the table alphabetically, except for the Benelux countries. Belgium, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg are BFF and like to sit together.
  • The original chateau was used be Louis IV and Marie Antoinette for their honeymoon.
  • The current Chateau de la Muette was built in the 20s.
  • The chateau was used by the Gestapo during World War II.
  • The newest section of the OECD building was designed by IM Pei - the same guy who did the Louvre pyramid.

Not so interesting facts:

  • The Aussie guy who did the tour lives about 50m down the road from me.
  • I met my Greek neighbour for the first time that evening and she works as a diplomat for the OECD.
  • My spell checker thinks Pei is incorrect and should be either Penis or Peeing.

No comments: