Tuesday, July 22, 2008

C'est Vrai

For some reason it's difficult to buy vitamins here in France. You can get them from parapharmacies or pharmacies (no I don't know what the difference is) but you don't get a whole lot of choice and they're super expensive. I used to buy my vitamins in bulk from the UK but the last couple of times I have bought them here.

I was looking for folic acid and the regular place I go to had sold out so the guy sent me next door to the pharmacy. This is how the conversation went (translated into English because I do speak French, ya know):

Me: Hello, I'm looking for some folic acid.
Stupid Pharmacist: Yes.
Me: Um, do you have any?
Stupid Pharmacist: Yes.
Me: Well... I'd like to buy some.
Stupid Pharmacist: Oh, ok. What do you want it for?
Me: Um, to take once a day???
Stupid Pharmacist: Have you taken it before?
Me: Yes, for years.
Stupid Pharmacist: We have 400mcg and 500mcg but I can't advise you on which is best because you haven't told me why you want it.
Me: Grrr....
Me: It significantly reduces the risk of having a child with birth defects.
Stupid Pharmacist: C'est vrai?
Me: Grrr...
Me: Also, some studies have shown that it can reduce the risk of certain diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
Stupid Pharmacist: ???

As I leave with my tiny box of tablets I hear her asking the other pharmacist:

Stupid Pharmacist: Why would someone take folic acid?
Pharmacist with a Brain: It reduces the risk of having a child with birth defects.
Stupid Pharmacist: C'est vrai?

6 comments:

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Really makes you wonder where the HECK they find these stupid people, anyways!!!!! What a pain in the arse!!!!! Hey... did you get my email about the films? Let me know if you want to see any of them and I'll let the others know... Take care, Leese

Andrea said...

I replied to your email earlier today. I just resent it but yeah, Broken English sounds good to me - it's set in Paris after all :)

Anonymous said...

Leesa- Have seen Broken English and love, love, loved it. Parker Posey is so great.

Andrea- Maybe you could ask your doctor for a prescription, it might make it easier getting the vitamins you need. I don't have a problem getting my multivitamin but occasionally I have to go from one pharmacy to another to get it in tablet form as people here seem to be obsessed with solvable or chewable things.

Andrea said...

I think I'll just go back to ordering them over the net. Then I won't have to deal with annoying people plus it's so much cheaper.

Can't wait to see that movie now that you've said it's good.

Anonymous said...

I believe paraphamacies can't fill prescriptions. They just sell the regular OTC stuff.

I think ordering online would be your best bet too!

Andrea said...

I figured it was something like that.

Great photos on your blog, btw.