Sunday, January 27, 2008

De L'autre Cote

I don't usually like to make plans because they just never seem to work out. I had every intention of going to the Australia Day celebrations last night but at the last minute decided to see a movie instead. I don't know why, I guess seeing a movie is just more appealing than sitting in a pub with 200 drunk Aussies!

Anyway, I'm glad I changed my plans because De L'autre Cote was great. It's a German/Turkish movie set in Hambourg and Istanbul. A lonely old man invites a Turkish prostitute to live with him resulting in disaster. Her daughter is missing as a result of her political acts. A young German girl gets messed up in a situation which turns into a nightmare.

The way I see it, there are a serious of events which lead to one shitty situation after another. Nothing goes right for any of the characters. It's a great story but really sad. Worth seeing for sure.

No comments: