Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Australia Day in Paris

I can't remember the last time I celebrated Australia Day so that must mean it's about time I did, even if it's here in Paris. I've signed up to go to the Paris Aussie Expat event at Cafe Oz, Grands Boulevards.

I've never been to a Meetup event before and never been to Cafe Oz before so it's all going to be new for me. If anyone is interested in going you'll need the password which some idiot made, "Any chance of getting a drink around here? I'm as dry as a dead dingo's donger!" Nice one.

I've been invited to a FB friend's birthday party later that night. It's in une boite just down the road from Cafe Oz. Nightclubs really aren't by my thing at all but it would be nice to actually meet this guy after weeks of exchanging messages. No, it wouldn't be a date, we're just friends, but he's a nice guy. I doubt I'll end up going though, 11:30pm is a bit past my bedtime.

4 comments:

Misplaced said...

Can't you be tied to a stake, covered in meat and left for the dingos to eat for divulging the secret password?

Andrea said...

Ooops!!! Was that a secret???

Anonymous said...

Actually, Cafe Oz pulls quite a crowd on a weekend and they usually charge 10 euros entry. This year Australia Day fell on a Saturday but the bar manager kindly said he would grant Meetup members free entry for our event but suggested we devise a password so the doorman would know not to charge the individual upon arrival.

He also suggested that the password should be humourous because he was looking forward to seeing Aussies and especially their french friends utter the phrase at the door! It was more practical as well to put the password on our website's event page for the 130 who rsvp'd than to clog the inboxes of all 500 members.

So there you have it. Perhaps there was some method to this idiot's madness. You forgot to mention whether you enjoyed your evening slumming it with the aussie Meetup crowd.

Andrea said...

LOL, yeah, I know it was just a joke (as well as making it easy for the doorman).

Unfortunately, I didn't make it that night and after all this time I still haven't made it to a Meetup event or CafeOz.

I'm such a bad expat...