Thursday, May 10, 2007

New Laptop

I spent last weekend in London. I desperately needed to buy a new computer and seeing I couldn't stand the thought of using a French keyboard, I headed north to pick up a middle of the range laptop. Not that I really like the English keyboard either but at least it's similar to the one I'm used to. I set it to the international keyboard setting anyway so I think it's ok.


I really wanted to get the latest and greatest computer but at 2000 pounds, that was a bit over my budget. In the end I went with an Acer laptop with 17 inch screen, 1.6 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and who knows what else, for 700 pounds. It's not the best on the market, by any means, but it is significantly better than what I was using. The increase in speed in incredible and so is the LCD screen.


The first thing I had to do was set up a network so Ferbent can use the old computer at the same time as I use mine. It took me ages to figure out how to do but in the end it was very simple. Here are the steps for adding a computer to an existing network using the Livebox and internal Wi-Fi. This is really just for my reference because I think I'll buy another computer in the next month or so for Ferbent. The old has so many problems and he's helping me with my marketing efforts and he needs a new computer to be more productive.


Full instructions with screenshots can be found at Orange.



  1. Push the little button on the bottom of the Livebox, next to the connection for the electricity. The opens up the network to allow you to connect the new computer.

  2. On the new computer click Start - Connect.

  3. Select the number of the Livebox (which is written on the bottom of the Livebox.

  4. Enter the WEP password which can also be found on the bottom of the Livebox.

  5. Wait a few seconds and the connection is made.


Yay, that was easy. Now if only I can figure out how to set up the wireless connection to the printer...


Oh, and it doesn't come with Microsoft Office so I downloaded the open source package Open Office. It was recommended by someone but the spell checker on the Word type program doesn't work :( That's the whole reason I wanted it. Don't tell me I'll actually have to fork out cash for Word and Excel? I wish Qumana came with a spell checker (with Australian English) then I could live with Open Writer. Although I prefer to check my grammar too before posting. Looks like Word it is.


5 comments:

Ksam said...

Don't worry, Open Office has dictionaries as well, you just need to download them from their site. They don't include them because they take up so much space on your hard drive, so they let you pick and choose which ones you want (for example, I have American English and French on mine).

Andrea said...

Thanks so much for that info!

I was going to check out their site to try and figure out what was going on but you saved me the trouble.

Kaj Kandler said...

I found those Australian English dictionary and hyphenation files for OpenOffice.org. Hope they are done well. It is the beauty of open source, that many people collaborate. But that means it is not always all things in one place.

K<o>
Busy, providing technical support to non technical users of OpenOffice

Kelvin Eldridge said...

Hi Andrea,

I just read your post.

I created/maintain the Australian English dictionary for OpenOffice.org. You can find the latest files at the page mentioned by kaj kandler, which you can also get to using www.dictionary.JustLocal.com.au.

You may also wish to use my favourite version, which I've named the Kelvin version. It is a prescriptive dictionary.

Enjoy,

Kelvin Eldridge

Andrea said...

Thank you Kaj and Kelvin for the links, you've both helped me a lot.

I've installed the Kelvin version of the dictionary and it's working perfectly.

I will recommend this to others for sure.

Thanks again!