Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Day at the Prefecture

After queuing for 2 hours at the Sous Prefecture in Boulogne I discovered that I don't need any visa or stamp in my passport to live in France. I can stay as long as I like and come and go as I please. I'm surprised that is the case but the lady there insisted it's true. She was saying how that has been the case for Europeans for the last couple of years, which I was already aware of, and it is the same for Australians. I asked her about 3 times to make sure I hadn't misunderstood and she said without a doubt that was the case. I'm still not sure I believe her.

Of course this doesn't mean Australians can work in France without a Carte de Sejour so I have to apply for one. I have an appointment on the 23rd June and I'm hoping they'll give it to me right there and then. I need all the usual documents plus official translations of both my marriage certificate and birth certificate. The translations cost 50 euros per document which is not too bad. I don't know why they need the birth certificate seeing they'll have my passport. I don't even know where it is, I'll have to get my father to get a copy for me. Hopefully I'll get it in time so I'll won't have to go back and then I'll be able to start looking for work in a few weeks.

No comments: