Saturday, May 27, 2006

Opening a Bank Account in France

I expected it to be quite difficult to open a bank account in France as it is in the UK but I didn't have too many problems. The easiest way is to find someone at the bank who is friendly, which is easier than you might think, even in Paris.

I went to LCL and told them I had just arrived and was going to be studying French. I wasn't enrolled in a school and I was staying in a hotel. The girl at the bank told me that you have to have proof of address, such as a phone or electricity bill, to open an account. I thought she was going to send my on my way but she didn't. She opened an account using my Australian address. All I gave her was my passport, nothing else.

So I got my RIB, which is all I needed, but not any bank cards. Once I rented an apartment and got a France Telecom phone bill, I faxed a copy of the bill (la facture) with my new address details. I then received my bank/debit card and there was nothing more to do.

The whole process took about 3 months because I had to wait until I received the first phone bill (you can use an electricity bill) but I could deposit money and pay bills with the account before then, I just couldn't withdraw any money. It wasn't difficult but you have to be patient. Nothing happens quickly in this country.

No comments: