Thursday, May 25, 2006

Living in Boulogne Billancourt

Even though I say I live in Paris, I actually live in Boulogne Billancourt, just outside of Paris. I know it's not technically in Paris but I figure that I'm still on the Paris metro so apart from my post code, what's the difference?

Boulogne is a fairly middle class neighbourhood with lots of families. The centre has a new(ish) shopping centre and a lot of the area has been updated. There are plenty of new office and residential buildings being built and it looks to be an area growing in popularity.

I'm a 5 minute walk from the supermarket, cinemas, and restaurants and a 5-10 minute walk to the metro on either line 9 or line 10. Bois de Boulogne is a huge park which is a great place to walk around on the weekends and I'm not far from there either. I'm told that Bois de Boulogne is taken over by prostitutes at night but I can't verify that!

When I first moved to Paris in 1999, I lived in Boulogne Billancourt with a French family for 4 or 5 weeks. I remember at that time that I didn't like it at all and thinking it was too far from the centre of Paris. Things have improved since then but I still think it's a bit far from the attractions of Paris but actually it only takes about 20-25 minutes from my house to the Latin Quarter so it can't be that bad.

No comments: