Monday, April 24, 2006

I Rented a Studio in Paris

The last 2 weeks have been extremely stressful. Finding an apartment in Paris has been more difficult than I expected. No one would rent to me. About a week ago a landlord in Boulogne said I could rent his tiny apartment for 890 euros per month. It's ridiculously expensive, even for Paris, but in the end I accepted his offer. I had no other choice. It's in a nice area, it has new flooring and paint, a storeroom, and a car bay. It is too expensive but I'm relieved to finally have a place.

The landlord is very nice and really laid back. I showed him my documents and he accepted them on face value. He trusts me to pay each month and he happily signed the contract. Why couldn't other landlords be like that? I understand that they are worried the apartment will be damaged or the tenant won't pay the rent but surely that only happens in a small percentage of cases.

The next step is to organise the move from Montpellier to Paris. I think we'll do it ourselves because we don't have too much stuff. I'll have to rent a van. I hope we can move everything in one trip. We'll see.

No comments: