Wednesday, March 08, 2006

La Grande Motte to Carnon

I went to La Grande Motte yesterday, another small resort town with ugly 60's high rises. Actually, La Grande Motte is not as ugly as Palavas or Carnon (the other beaches near Montpellier). Some of the buildings are quite quirky and if you like Retro style then this is the place to be. The more time I spent there the more I became fascinated with the architecture. Again I was without my camera. I'm planning to buy a new digital camera in May, when the new releases come out, so I'll have to head back to La Grande Motte then.

Ferbent dropped his cv off at a few hotels at La Grande Motte and then we headed to Carnon. I saw on the internet that one of the hotels there were looking for a maintenance person. We stayed in that hotel for 2 weeks when we first moved to Montpellier and were looking for an apartment, so I knew where it was and what the rooms were like. I thought the job would be perfect for Ferbent so that's where we headed.

I thought the walk from La Grande Motte to Carnon would be around 5kms, 7 at the most. It was a nice, sunny day so we decided to walk there, along the beach. We'd been walking for about an hour when I looked back and realised we weren't even half way there. What a mistake it was to walk. In the end it took us over 3 hours. I worked out later the distance was about 12kms. Add to that an hour or so walking around La Grande Motte and the walk to and from bus station, I'd say we walked well over 15kms. Needless to say I was exhausted by the time I got home and surprisingly so was Ferbent. He never seems to get tired.

I wouldn't have minded being so tired if Ferbent had gotten that job but he didn't. When he went to the hotel in Carnon they said they didn't have any positions available. They didn't even take his cv. They had only advertised the position 2 days earlier so I'm sure it hadn't been filled. The guy was really abrupt with him, I can't understand why. That was the only hotel maintenance job I've seen advertised in the last six months so I'm really disappointed he didn't get it.

No comments: