Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Day at the Beach

We went to Palavas today, essentially for Ferbent to look for work but for me it was more about getting out of the house. I studied French for one month at Alliance Francaise when I first arrived in Montpellier but since then I've spent most days in my studio apartment sitting in front of the computer. I generally don't mind being at home alone but the lack of exercise is having a serious impact on my weight!

Back to Palavas. Palavas is a small beach town about 10kms from Montpellier. It has white sandy beaches but it's nothing like the beaches in Australia. Australian beaches have finer, whiter sand and crystal clear water. French beaches just don't compare. The weather wasn't cold but the wind was unbearable. I thought I was going to get away from the wind when I left Perth but it's just as bad here.

Ferbent dropped his CV off to a couple of the hotels in Palavas but most of them looked like they hadn't had any maintenance done to them in the last 20 years so I don't see why they'd start now. Still no job for him.

I don't really understand why there are so few hotels there. I know it's a popular place for tourists in summer. It seems most people going there rent a house or apartment for the summer rather than staying in a hotel. Maybe it's a European thing. Maybe it's because people going there don't have the money to spend on a hotel. It's not exactly a 5 star beach.

The funniest thing that happened all day was when I dropped a plastic bag. I sent Ferbent off to pick it up but each time he went to grab it the wind blew it further away from him. I was killing myself laughing! If only I'd had a camera with me.

No comments: